Friday, January 11, 2008

Equestrian Theory :: An Introduction

As I'm sure you have realized by now, I ride horses. Shocker, I know. I have ever since I was 9 and its been all downhill since then. First came the pony, then the horse, then the second pony then the show horse. Then came the F-250, the 3 horse trailer, the 40 acres the free horse and then the barn. 
Naturally, people who know nothing have asked me to give them or their children horseback riding lessons. Although I would like to give lessons, earning money doing something I enjoy, I don't particularly want to teach children. First of all, I would have to deal with the nervous parents. Horses are big and scary animals that like to kill small children on a regular basis. Everyone knows that. Then I would have to deal with the children themselves. Kids under the age of about 10 seem to scare me anyway. They don't always listen to me because I am closer to their age than their parents.  Then letting them loose on a 1,000 pound animal is just a recipe for disaster. 
Even if I did take on a young, attentive, equine obsessed student, I would then have to face the problem that they might not understand my methods of teaching. I would teach what I call Equestrian Theory. Even my love has a hard time following my ideas and he would be the most likely of anyone to understand them. 

Equestrian Theory revolves around the idea that a person with no prior horseback experience can learn a more comprehensive and theoretical based way to ride. Trying to learn how to do something while controlling a horse can be difficult and intimidating. However, I think that learning the concept and mechanics behind steering* before you attempt it can improve your results dramatically. I know this may sound like a gimmick-y weight loss commercial, but it makes sense that to understand how to do something before you do it. You wouldn't start playing chess without first reading the rules or having someone explain it to you. 
A good example of Equestrian Theory in action is my dad. He has been watching me take lessons and ride for years in addition to listening to me explain things that he may or may not understand. I put him on my show horse a few months ago just expecting to walk him around like he was on a pony ride. However, he insisted that I let him ride and shocked me. He was able to walk, trot and post in addition to keeping my horse's head set with out trouble. That was when I realized that Equestrian Theory really could work. 

*Steering a horse is much more difficult than steering a car. The horse you are riding, the saddle and bridle you are riding in and the discipline you are riding are all factors to consider when steering. We will say that you are riding a horse in an english saddle (all purpose) with single reigns in a snaffle bit. Already over your head? Don't worry about it. 
First you need to know how to hold the reigns and where to hold your hands. Your hands should stay low and close to you, about 4 inches apart, 4-5 inches in front of you and 3-4 inches above the horse's neck. Your elbows should be slightly bent and stay that way the entire time you ride. Your fingers, legs, seat bones and weight should be largely responsible for steering, with your arms moving only slightly. 

Now that you know where your hands should go, you can learn how to turn. If you wish to turn right, you will do several things simultaneously to achieve a precise and almost undetectable turn. Since there are several things to consider, I will just list them rather than trying to tie them together.
  1. Look slightly in the direction that you want to go. [In this case, look to your right]
  2. Shift your weight to your right seat bone without shifting the weight in your stirrups.
  3. Pull your right reign with your right ring finger by tightening your hand into a loose fist. Pull your whole hand back to you [not up, down or out] if it is necessary.  
  4. Put pressure on your horse's side with your calf. In this case, you are "pushing" him in the direction you want to go. [Use your left leg to go right] 
Then, you must do all of this while maintaining light contact with the horse's mouth.

Riding properly really is not as easy as people assume it is. Now for the explanations behind each act.
  1. By looking where you want to go, your horse can feel you turn slightly in the saddle and, depending on his or her training, will know that you want to turn before you actually ask for it.
  2. Shifting your weight serves the same purpose as looking where you want to go. Your horse feels the weight on his right side and may know that you want to turn.
  3. Using your fingers to turn rather than your whole hand, wrist or arm is mostly for the benefit of the horse. The reigns are attached to a bit which is made of metal. The bit rests in the horse's mouth called the bars. The bars are basically gums. Imagine someone yanking on your mouth with a heavy piece of metal. Not too pleasant.
  4. Most horses are trained to respond to leg pressure for multiple reasons. One reason is to make the communication between horse and rider appear effortless. Little or no movement from the rider's hands looks cleaner. This is an essential component in dressage. Also, many working horses such as roping horses need to be guided while their rider is using their hands for other tasks.
As you can see, Equestrian Theory is not always easy to follow, but if explained properly it can be very comprehensive and informative. If you even read all of that, I applaud you. And now you see why I am apprehensive about teaching a 7-year-old. 

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, the sound of the idea of teaching small children horse back riding sounds horrid. Considering horses are probably very skiddish towards load noises.. and kids have a tendancy to shout and or scream in the pressance of something much bigger then them..
    Doesn't sound like that would work very well. Doesn't horse riding require relationship between horse and rider? A farmiliarness?
    Well, if you were to ever even chance the idea of teaching children horse back riding, have the first week or two be about getting to know the horse and careing for the horse. And that Equestrian Theory! :] Sounds like a marvolous way of teachering. Just practicing the form and type of subtle movements before getting on a horse would probably prove a tremendous help upon the first rides of a horse. But of course, you'd just lead them around the first couple of times so they'd get more of a "feel" for the horse. Mm hm.

    Ah dear, i feel i got carried away with myself on that idea.
    But the Equestrian Theory does sound like a very effective way to teach a new comer to horse back riding with enough review. I myself feel a little wiser to the understandings of horse backriding. And it definately does seem more work then i could possibly imagine.
    So many kudos to you for all the hard works! :]
    And kudos for this magnificent peice too! So indepth, very informative~ I'm amazed!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Horses are skittish by nature but lesson horses are usually very calm and "bomb proof". However, the problem with learning on a bomb proof lesson horse is that the horse is used to inexperienced riders and will often take advantage of them. Young riders can learn bad habits such as being heavy handed [pulling on the reigns too much] and using exaggerated movements to turn.

    Since these horses do get the abuse of inexperience, they often become numb to subtle cues which can inhibit the learning process.

    Horseback riding does not require a relationship between horse and rider but to work together as a team there must be a bond. I have ridden horses that I don't have much of a relationship with and found that it can be more difficult because you don't know that horse's cues and the horse does not know how you ride. Once when I was 10 I fell off of a horse because I was gripping him with my calves. He eventually broke into a gallop, I got him back down to a trot and fell under him [I think he jumped over me]. If someone had told me how sensitive he was to leg pressure, that whole incident could have been avoided.

    I have been planning on the first few lessons to be about caring for a horse and how much effort and time goes into it. Things like cleaning stalls, cleaning tack, bathing, grooming, tacking and untacking. There is even a proper way to lead a horse. So many things to teach such a small mind is intimidating.

    As for the feel of a horse, you are spot on! I often prefer the english saddle over the western saddle because I am able to feel my horse better. Many people prefer the western though because of its support in the front and back. But if you are on a run away horse, or a bucking horse you don't need to hold on to the horn and let go of the reigns. That is the worst mistake someone can ever make while on a horse.

    Oooh I got carried away, myself! I am very glad that you understood my brief explanation of Equestrian Theory! Thank you for your feedback! It is thoroughly appreciated!

    ReplyDelete