Saturday, January 5, 2008

Early Atheism

To set things straight from the beginning, I consider myself to be an open minded atheist. I do not believe in a god nor do I believe that religion is good. Although I am not a fan of the religious set, I don't mind them at all as long as they keep their lives outside of the church secular. This is a diverse and complex world we live in, no matter where you go. Carrying such a belief with you and pushing it on anyone [close friends included] is not the best way to make [and keep] friends. But thats beside the point.

Although I was not raised christian per-se, I still grew up around others who attended church regularly and insisted that I go when I was over on a Sunday morning. That being said, I had a vague knowledge of heaven and hell, god and the devil and the ever mysterious Jesus. From the time I was able to form my own opinions, I knew that I did not believe in christianity. 

My parents vaguely knew of my disbelief, as they shared them as well. My dad always told me to tell the kids at school I went to a certain church so I wouldn't be shunned and ridiculed. For a while, I played along but I got tired of lying to friend after friend. Why should you have to lie about your religious views in order to be accepted? It was ridiculous. Then one day, when asked, "What church do you go to?" I responded with the blunt and to the point reply, "I don't". That was that, enough said, the friend moved on; most likely too shocked for words.

And so, this long-winded yet brief story of my own childhood atheistic beliefs brings me to my point. I think children, when left to make their own decisions, are often the best at deciphering the truth. I don't think that I could explain it better than a 12 year old girl named Morgan. In an interview with the Black Sun Journal, this pre-teen girl openly explains her views and exhibits a firm grasp of atheism that I could have only dreamed about at such a vulnerable age. All in all, this blog post deserves to be read by atheists and christians alike in order to peer into the minds of our future.         


1 comment:

  1. It's rather a difficult matter.. hence why so much conflict is always dredged up.
    Too many conflicting views and ideas. And no matter how nice it would be if christians left "god" at church, i could feel the same way about atheist leaving their beleifs at home.

    I think it's more of a matter of people, and the person. Some are just idiots who thing infinatly of what they "know" is truth. -_- and thus SHOVE it on others.

    :[ But yeah, i've experienced the "What church do you go to?" But if there isn't people to support your disbelief of the word.. then saying "I don't" can get you pushed down and prayed over.

    But yeah, makes you wonder. If given enough of everything to be known.. what truths would a child discover for themself, and form, if aloud to?

    But you can never be agianst any of the awkward experiences of the past, due to little understanding known, because they've helped form the you of today, and gave you the understanding you have now.
    :] so you've gotta sort of appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete