Thursday, January 10, 2008

Is it really all Politics?

Last night, while I was speaking in third person, I had a strange sort
of revelation.

I was thinking about the election of '08 and speculating that the country needs a good, flexible Moderate president. No matter who is elected, it will be nearly impossible to make a majority of the American population happy. If a Conservative is elected, Liberals will be unhappy and the other way around.

This train of thought led me to think about the political parties. Since there is such a difference in the views within parties, it made me wonder why they exist.

I came to the conclusion that political parties are nothing but stereotypes. When someone says "Democrat" you will most likely think of a person who is "hippie-like". Legalize marijuana, keep abortion legal, allow gay marriages, pass strict laws restricting greenhouse gas emissions. You know. Tree hugging stuff, right? Just like if someone says "Republican" you might think of a conservative bible-thumper. "Pro-life", strict immigration laws, few social services, allow the teaching of intelligent design in schools. At least that is what pops into my mind. I realize not everyone has these stereotypical views but I believe many people do.

I consider myself to be a Democrat but I do have a few views that would be considered somewhat conservative and I know that countless others have the same dilemma. Sometimes it can be difficult to classify yourself when someone asks you "Are you a Democrat or Republican?" It can create an awkward situation like "Um, well, I think I'm a conservative Democrat. Or maybe a liberal Republican? I'm not too sure...". Then, given the stereotypes, it seems like you are contradicting your own views.

Why have political parties in the first place? So people can feel like they belong somewhere? Comfort in numbers? The whole concept just doesn't make sense to me. Maybe I should accept it and move on with my life?

Basically, I think the political parties are imaginary.



No comments:

Post a Comment